I am a 1,85 m/6"1', 30 yo male. My SW was 110,6 kg/244 lbs and my CW is 105.5 kg/232 lbs GW 92 kg/203 lbs/ 17% body fat content.
I started my second weight loss journey in mid August. I already had lost some weight in 2021, were I went down to 92 kg by calorie counting but without taking too much care if my Makros are great.
Then my weight slowly crept back up to 106 kg in 2025, but last year was quite stressful because we bought a house and ate a lot of trash during renovations. Now we are done and with my weight being the highest it has ever been I felt like it's time to do something again.
I did a body composition measurement at a gym in early September and it came back at 107.5 kg with 29% body fat and 67.5% muscle mass. I really don't want to loose an excessive amount of the muscle mass during my journey so I wanted to get my approach double checked by the people on this sub to see if it is reasonable.
I calculated my current BMR to be about 2227 kcal, and assumed my PAL to be at 1.4-1.5 with an average of 11.000 steps a day and 2 hours of calisthenics a week, which would put my TEC at around 3200 kcal.
I currently eat an average of 2450 kcal (target being 2400 kcal) daily and log everything that I eat religiously, with the exception being vegetables I snack while harvesting in the garden, which I don't deem to severe and I usually eat either pizza or Döner on Fridays which I estimate at around 1200 kcal. I also try to hit 150 g of protein daily, which I only manage since the last 2 weeks, before that I usually hit only around 120 g.
We have always been cooking mostly at home and not overly unhealthy, just usually too much accompanied by snacking so adjusting my diet and tracking calories hasn't been too difficult yet. The big change I made was switching from bread at work to overnight oats which keep me full way longer and using protein powder to get my protein intake higher. We've been primarily vegetarian but are currently eating more meet again and it's sad to see how much easier this makes hitting protein targets. We also cut out the snacks more or less completely and didn't have any bigger fall backs even though there's still snacks in the house (but kept out of sight).
I also don't eat back the calories from my workout since they are already included in the PAL.
This would put my deficit at roughly 700 kcal a day or ~600 g/1,3 lbs of fat loss a week.
My target is to reach below 100 kg/220 lbs before Christmas and hopefully reach my target weight of 92kg/203 lbs by February/March.
Depending on how things are going I maybe want to try going down to 85 kg after, which would be my recommended weight according to BMI, but would put me at 10% body fat, if my lean mass doesn't change to much and the readings are accurate. That does sound kinda ridiculous to me though.
There's a few things I am wondering about though.
So far I am feeling very little hunger and no cravings. This kinda feels as if I am not doing it "right" since I expected a calorie deficit to lead to hunger. Is this normal in early stages since I've only been going for about 6 weeks and my body fat percentage is quite high? My girlfriend is also counting calories and is only at a 300-400 kcal deficit and struggles a lot, but she was already at a more healthy weight to begin with.
Since my weight has been dropping I see the deficit is working, but I'm unsure if should go lower or maybe calculated my TEC too high.
Also I am trying to still hit my target of 2400 kcal even if I already hit my protein and am not really hungry. Would it be better to just not eat and finish the day at 2000-2200 kcal? I am trying to not eat under my BMR.
Should I adjust my calorie intake along the way, for example go down an additional 100 kcal for every 10 kg lost to adjust for lower BMR?
Also I have read about the concept of diet breaks of feed days, where you should eat your TEC (so for me 3200 kcal daily) of mostly added carbs to refill your reserves for a day or even week at a time.
At which points of the diet does this make sense?
Also I would like to do another BIA to see how my ratio of fat loss:lean loss is going. I was thinking it makes sense to do another test around December. Does this sound reasonable?
I also have been checking my weight only once a week, but am considering switching to Libra scale and weigh daily to get more accurate data and also still need to start taking body measurements.
It's been great to read all the stories here so far and see how supportive this community is.
It is a great motivation to keep going, hopefully even when things start getting harder.
Thank you for reading through all my rambling.
[link] [comments]
from loseit - Lose the Fat https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/1wut7ov/does_my_approach_make_sense/
Comments
Post a Comment