Ads

It feels so much harder the second time

My weight loss story is unfortunately a very common one. I have been obese for most of my life, both adolescent and adult. Around 2016-2017, I lost ~120 lbs, almost entirely through calorie counting and portion control. It was great! I was not quite at goal weight, but things were very different. And then, life happened. A combination of the pandemic, changes in my career, and multiple moves, and I slowly gained it all back. And so now I'm back to square one again.

It feels so much harder this time around. Not because of the numbers or the process - I've already started to fall back into the previous habits. If anything, I'm probably ahead of schedule based on my calculated deficit and how much weight I should lose per week based on that. What is so difficult is that now I know and remember what its like to not be obese. I had to re-buy 3XL shirts after fitting in XL and 2XL. I remember what it feels like to take up a normal amount of space, to fit into clothes, to not get winded after walking up hills/up stairs/normal distances. I remember what it felt like to look into the mirror and not feel bad about what I was seeing in the reflection. I know how long and at what weights I started to see a difference. And all those things feel so far off. I also feel shame about letting it get this bad again. I recently moved for my job, and no one here knows anything different about me. But my friends and family all know. They know how far I made it, and that its all been undone. No one's said anything or been anything but supportive, but still, I feel it and I know it.

Since I did it through mostly calorie counting and portion control previously, I thought I would be able to do it that way again. But I've started and stopped multiple times in the past several years, each time losing a little bit before falling off the wagon. So, I finally asked for help. I started a GLP-1 a couple weeks ago, and it already feels like it will be a game changer. Honestly, I'm a little annoyed that I didn't try to start one sooner. I also plan to make exercise a bigger part of my regimen going forward. Once I lose a little more I plan to see a trainer and figure out a routine that can work for me.

Anyway, I wanted to put this out there, in case anyone else feels the same way.

submitted by /u/Mistakebythelake90
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/1vwti8x/it_feels_so_much_harder_the_second_time/

Comments

Ads