Ads

165 kg → 136 kg in 3 months. Now I’m trying to figure out what the hell I’m doing with training.

I'm 36, 180 cm (5'11"), and started at 165 kg about 3 months ago. I'm currently at 136 kg, so I've lost around 29 kg so far.

I'm eating around 1,600 calories/day and I'm nowhere near my protein target yet, but I'm working on it.

I'm training at home 4 days a week: Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

My equipment is pretty basic:

  • Adjustable bench
  • Dumbbells that I keep at 7 kg and 15 kg
  • A rather scuffed barbell 😂
  • No room for a proper long Olympic bar/setup

I've been following the training program in the pictures, and after each set I also do some combination of calf raises, knee raises and other little exercises so no real rest because apparently I enjoy making myself suffer.

The reason I'm posting is that I could really use some advice about the training.

With the exception of curls, shrugs, lateral raises and calf raises, I don't really feel the muscle I'm trying to work during most exercises.

And to be clear, I REALLY feel the lateral raises. 😂 Those things make my shoulders burn like a motherfucker, and the calf raises definitely give me a serious burn too. For curls I had to switch to concentration curls I think they are called in order to feel the burn.

But for a lot of the other exercises, I don't really get that same sensation. I'm not sure if that's because my form is wrong, the weights are too light/heavy, I'm not doing the exercises correctly, or if I'm just expecting the wrong sensation. All of them I pretty much do the same, hold at the "top" and slow descent.

I also have a right shoulder injury that makes some exercises particularly difficult. Triceps exercises and dumbbell flyes tend to aggravate it, so I've had to be careful with those.

I'm also struggling with legs. My knees hurt when I do squats, so I've stopped doing them, and I haven't really found a good quad exercise I can do at home that doesn't aggravate my knees.

One of the frustrating things about losing this much weight is that I don't really see the difference when I look at myself. I really wish I'd taken proper before-and-after pictures when I started. I did measure my waist, though, and I've lost roughly 20 cm from my waist, so at least I have that objective measurement to remind myself that something is definitely happening and I also "grew" a neck. 😂

So I'd especially appreciate advice on:

  1. Whether the exercises in my current program make sense with the equipment I have.
  2. Whether not "feeling" the muscle is a sign that I'm doing something wrong.
  3. What I could do for quads/legs while avoiding exercises that hurt my knees.
  4. Whether there are good alternatives for triceps and chest exercises that won't aggravate my shoulder.
  5. Anything obvious I'm missing from my routine.
  6. Any form or programming advice you can give from the pictures.

I'm primarily focused on continuing to lose weight while building/maintaining as much muscle as I can.

I've already lost 29 kg and 20 cm from my waist, so I'm pretty motivated to keep going. I just want to make sure I'm not spending the next year doing exercises completely wrong. 😅

Thank you!

Ok so I cant post pictures. My training is :

Day 1: Bench press, dumbbell shoulder press, lateral raises, triceps extensions

Day 2: One arm dumbbell row, switched from barbell row to two arm dumbbell row because I was hitting my belly, dumbbell curls, shrugs

Day 3: Bench press, dumbbell flyes, hammer curls, triceps extensions

Day 4: Shoulder press, one arm dumbbell row, lateral raises, dumbbell curls.

submitted by /u/Objective_Dentist_29
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/1w2da7t/165_kg_136_kg_in_3_months_now_im_trying_to_figure/

Comments

Ads